T.O. Fuller Go Green
T.O. Fuller State Park has completed the Silver Recognition Level of the TN State Parks Go Green With Us Initiative and Guidelines. The guidelines include multiple areas of environmental sustainability including education and outreach, water conservation, energy efficiency, waste and recycling and much more. Congrats to this park for going above and beyond to be excellent stewards of our natural resources.
The mission of the Tennessee State Parks Go Green With Us program is to preserve and protect our state parks through sustainable park operations, resource conservation, and recycling. Program components cover a diverse array of initiatives, including energy and water conservation through equipment and operations upgrades, recycling programs, projects to enhance ecosystem health, and erosion control, among many others.
- T.O. Fuller State Park is currently in the process of building a new and extremely energy efficient interpretive center. Features will include natural heating and cooling ability made possible by a roof that reflects sunlight, an overhang around the building that prevents too much sunlight from entering the space, and walls that are resistant to changes in temperature. The building will also collect rainwater from the roof that will be used to water plants around the building.
- The park tracks energy use to identify areas for improvement.
- Erosion in the campground is reduced by using tent pads which are man-made surfaces that protect the ground from damage caused by repeatedly setting up a tent in the same spot.
- The park enhances the ecosystem through controlled burns, butterfly gardens, and encouraging growth of native grasses and vegetation.
- They also have community gardens in the park where park neighbors can grow fresh fruits and vegetables.