Standing Stone Go Green
Standing Stone State Park has completed the Platinum Recognition Level of the TN State Parks Go Green With Us Initiative and Guidelines. The guidelines include multiple areas of environmental sustainability including education and outreach, water conservation, energy efficiency, waste and recycling, and much more. Congrats to this park for going above and beyond to be excellent stewards of our natural resources.
The mission of the Tennessee State Parks Go Green With Us program is to preserve and protect our state parks through sustainable park operations, resource conservation, and recycling. Program components cover a diverse array of initiatives, including energy and water conservation through equipment and operations upgrades, recycling programs, projects to enhance ecosystem health, and erosion control, among many others.
- Standing Stone State Park enhances ecosystem health by conducting controlled burns and planting butterfly-attracting plants.
- Regularly scheduled volunteer litter pickup events help keep the forest and the lake clean. There are also high-efficiency wood stoves for heating at both of the ranger residences.
- The park is part of the TVA's Green Power Switch program.
- Installed solar security walkway/landscape lighting.
- The park has replaced most bulbs with LEDs
- Park maintains a native plant garden
- Park composts on site
- The gift shop offers/sells eco-friendly toys for pets and kids in Office Gift Shop.
- Participates in the TN State Parks Honey Project
- Waste Water Plant reduced the number of UV lamps with the same quality effluent.