Roan Mountain Go Green
Roan Mountain State Park has completed the Platinum Recognition Level of the TN State Parks Go Green With Us Initiative and Guidelines. The guidelines include multiple areas of environmental sustainability, including education and outreach, water conservation, energy efficiency, waste and recycling, and much more. Congrats to this park for going above and beyond to be excellent stewards of our natural resources.
The mission of the Tennessee State Parks Go Green With Us program is to preserve and protect our state parks through sustainable park operations, resource conservation, and recycling. Program components cover a diverse array of initiatives, including energy and water conservation through equipment and operations upgrades, recycling programs, projects to enhance ecosystem health, and erosion control, among many others.
- Roan Mountain State Park’s conference center was built with sustainability in mind. The center makes it easy to naturally cool the space, with outside opening doors on opposite site of the conference rooms.
- The conference center has a fireplace, and locally-sourced wood is provided.
- The park’s visitor’s center has been upgraded to more efficient lighting.
- The park is also part of the TVA’s Green Power Switch program.
- Roan Mountain controls campground erosion with tent pads which are man-made surfaces that protect the ground from damage caused by repeatedly setting up a tent in the same spot.
- Drainage improvements at the campground help minimize damage caused by stormwater runoff.
- The park helps to maintain ecosystem health through controlled burns and encouraging the growth of native vegetation.
- They have a very successful recycling program, particularly notable because of the park’s remote location.
- Electric vehicle charging stations are located at the Roan Mountain Visitor Center.