Pinson Mounds Go Green
The mission of the Tennessee State Parks Go Green With Us program is to preserve and protect our state parks through sustainable park operations, resource conservation, and recycling. Program components cover a diverse array of initiatives, including energy and water conservation through equipment and operations upgrades, recycling programs, projects to enhance ecosystem health, and erosion control, among many others.
Pinson Mounds State Park is energy-conscious.
- They have conducted an energy audit and track park-wide energy usage to identify areas for improvement.
- The museum has upgraded to all LED lighting, has a sun-reflecting white roof, and is upgrading to CECO Trio-E doors, made in Milan, Tennessee.
- They have also upgraded the Group Camp to a tankless propane water heater that only heats water as needed instead of constantly running to keep a large tank continuously hot.
- They are also installing new doors at their visitor’s center that will help the building to maintain a more level temperature.
- They use recycled wood from fallen park trees for trail surface, and enhance ecosystem health with beekeeping, butterfly gardens, and encouraging growth of native plants.
- They also have recycling and litter pickups throughout the year, and as a component of their Junior Ranger summer program.