Johnsonville Go Green
Johnsonville State Historic Park has completed the Platinum Recognition Level of the TN State Parks Go Green With Us Initiative and Guidelines. The guidelines include multiple areas of environmental sustainability including education and outreach, water conservation, energy efficiency, waste and recycling and much more. Congrats to this park for going above and beyond to be excellent stewards of our natural resources.
The mission of the Tennessee State Parks Go Green With Us program is to preserve and protect our state parks through sustainable park operations, resource conservation, and recycling. Program components cover a diverse array of initiatives, including energy and water conservation through equipment and operations upgrades, recycling programs, projects to enhance ecosystem health, and erosion control, among many others.
- The park used innovative reuse tactics around the park such as reusing broken coffee mugs from the gift shop as planters.
- The park planted a grove of American Chestnut trees.
- A pollinator garden was installed to promote pollinator health in the surrounding areas.
- The visitor’s center has reflective window film which reflects sunlight keeping the building cool and the energy costs down. The film is transparent and doesn’t change the view out the window.
- They track park-wide energy consumption, and have completed an energy audit to identify areas for improvement.
- The park also offers preferred parking for fuel efficient vehicles.
- Hosted clean up with Keep TN River Beautiful
- Multiple Repurposed/ Upcycled Craft workshops presented during Virtual Jr. Ranger Camp
- Solar Powered Gate at maintenance shop entrance
- Has water bottle filling station
- Reduced mowing with grove of American Chestnuts
- Repurposed Old Event signs for Covid-19 Signs