Fort Pillow Go Green
Fort Pillow State Historic Park has completed the Silver Recognition Level of the TN State Parks Go Green With Us Initiative and Guidelines. The guidelines include multiple areas of environmental sustainability including education and outreach, water conservation, energy efficiency, waste and recycling and much more. Congrats to this park for going above and beyond to be excellent stewards of our natural resources.
The mission of the Tennessee State Parks Go Green With Us program is to preserve and protect our state parks through sustainable park operations, resource conservation, and recycling. Program components cover a diverse array of initiatives, including energy and water conservation through equipment and operations upgrades, recycling programs, projects to enhance ecosystem health, and erosion control, among many others.
- Fort Pillow State Park protects the campground landscape from erosion and human impact through use of tent pads. Tent pads are man-made surfaces that protect the ground from damage caused by repeatedly setting up a tent in the same spot.
- Butterfly gardens create habitat and a food source for butterflies.
- The visitor’s center has energy efficient lighting.
- The park has installed strategically placed trash and recycling dumpsters resulting in fewer trashcans.
- Thecampground is trashcan free, and has a dump station with dumpster, recycling and a spot for gray and black water. The dump station and dumpster are conveniently located at the entrance to the campground.