The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) and Tennessee State Parks (TSP) have launched the TSP Honey Project in several state parks to
- Promote pollinator and environmental health in our parks
- Provide an experiential learning opportunity for visitors
- Produce sweet treats for our guests
TSP plans to bottle and sell the honey in state park gift shops. Tennessee State Park restaurants will also use the honey as a way to pursue sustainability.
Since pollinator health is critical to Tennessee's agricultural, environmental and ecological health, these tiny insects open the door to discuss a myriad of environmental issues.
TDEC has worked alongside several partners to get this project off the ground. The Tennessee Department of Agriculture’s State Apiarist, Mike Studer, advised on several topics including technical assistance, bee hive health, and community contacts. TRICOR, a company that provides occupational and life skills training for Tennessee's incarcerated population through job training, program opportunities, and transitional services designed to assist Offenders with a successful reintegration into society, built the hives for the first 6 parks.(Photo Credit: Tennessee Photographs)
If you would like to see this project expand to a state park near you, we invite you to donate to the Tennessee State Parks Conservancy using the button below. All donations will go towards expanding TSP's Honey Project. Please designate donations to the “Honey Project” in the Donation Note field on the online form.
- $50 - Adopt A Bee: This level of support covers general honeybee project expenses and allows up to expand to additional Tennessee State Parks. Supporters at this level will have the opportunity to name their bee and select its park home froma list of our hive locations.
- $1500 - Sponsor A Hive: This level of support covers the cost of adding a hive at a Tennessee State Park, including the hive components, the honeybees themselves, protective clothing and tools, beekeeper education and signage. Supporters at this level will have their name or their company's name/logo included on hive signage for 1 year.
- Other $$ Amounts: Donations of all other amounts are welcome and will go toward the expenses of creating new hives and maintaining existing hives at Tennessee State Parks.