How to Safely and Responsibly Recreate at Tennessee State Parks
October 1, 2020 | Permalink
Time outdoors is priceless. It’s something we look to during the best and most challenging times in our lives. Over the past few months, time outdoors has become even more important. Public lands across the country have been experiencing record-breaking visitation and Tennessee State Parks is no exception. Whether you’re well-versed or new to the outdoors, we can all work together to protect our public lands. Here are a few ways you can help:
Learn and Prepare Before You Go
- Read our Keeping Visitors Healthy page for the latest safety information regarding Tennessee State Parks. Visit our COVID-19 Travel Tips page for tips and resources on traveling to Tennessee State Parks.
- Check for full or partial park closures on our closures map.
- Bring a mask. Masks are required in any Tennessee State Park facility staffed by employees or where the general public may congregate.
- Check local safety directives and mask requirements for the county of the park you are planning to visit. Visitors should follow county requirements or the park rules found on our Keeping Visitors Healthy page, whichever are more stringent.
- Come prepared with hand sanitizer, water, and snacks (but pack it out please).
- Look to visit less crowded parks. Check out this blog for tips on avoiding the crowds and booking overnight trips.
During Your Visit
- Practice the Seven Principles of Leave No Trace. Pack out what you pack in.
- Go the extra mile and leave it better than before. Help us maintain clean parks by picking up trash you find during your outdoor adventures and dispose of it at home or another appropriate location.
- Practice good hygiene.
- Keep your distance. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and people outside of your household. Think about keeping the distance of one kayak away.
- Practice fire safety. As the weather gets cooler, conditions will become dryer. Read these tips on how to build and extinguish campfires safely.
- Play it safe. Avoid high-risk or new activities.