Ocoee River Commercial Rafting Permit

Who Needs One?

Any commercial operator (“Outfitter”) that wishes to provide commercial rafting services on the portions of the Ocoee River in Polk County, Tennessee commonly known as the “upper section” (below Ocoee No. 3 Dam to above Ocoee No. 2 Dam) and the “middle section” (below Ocoee No. 2 Dam to Powerhouse No. 2) (collectively known as the “Ocoee River management zone”) must obtain an Ocoee River Commercial Rafting Permit

Additional proposed commercial activities utilizing the Ocoee River management zone should be discussed separately with TDEC to determine the appropriate authorization process.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance and Other Information?

Permit applicants must direct all communications concerning this application to the following person designated as the Application Coordinator:

Jennifer Katzenmiller
Tennessee State Parks
Williams R. Snodgrass – TN Tower, 2nd Floor
312 Rosa L. Parks Ave.
Nashville, Tennessee 37243
Phone (615) 532-0208

What Information Must I Provide?

Outfitters must complete an Ocoee River Commercial Rafting Permit Application. The completed application must be received by the TDEC Application Coordinator no later than 4:30 pm central time zone on Friday, October 19, 2018.

Relevant Documents

Ocoee River Commercial Rafting Permit Application

Ocoee River Commercial Rafting Permit

What Fees Are Required?

There is no fee required for the permit application. 

If a permit is awarded, Outfitter must pay a recreation fee in the amount of ten percent (10%) of the annual gross revenue generated by commercial activities occurring within the Ocoee River management zone.  Additional details on the required fee can be found in the Ocoee River Commercial Rafting Permit

Applicants may refer to the following publications for additional information:

Tenn. Code Ann. § 11-8-107 Permits for commercial operation—Recreation fee—Promulgation of rules.

TDEC Rule 0400-02-10 Requirements for Conducting Rafting Services Ocoee River