Go Green With Us
Go Green With Us to protect and preserve our State Parks through resource conservation, sustainable operations, and recycling!
Sustainability efforts at Tennessee State Parks are as diverse as the Tennessee landscape - from recycling paper in park offices and installing energy-efficient LED lighting to installing pollinator gardens and creating vegetative buffer areas around wetlands and shorelines at the golf courses.
Since 2015 when the Go Green With Us Program began as a recycling initiative, state parks have continuously improved their environmental stewardship while reducing their carbon footprint. A comprehensive guideline was developed and released in 2017 to steer parks in the path of sustainability in all of their operations. Many campgrounds are now trash-can-free and are served by conveniently located dumpsters and recycling bins. This helps to save time and money as well as reduce litter throughout the campgrounds. Some restaurants are reducing their food waste through diversion, donation, and composting practices. Some restaurants and parks even have on-site gardens, providing fresh seasonal herbs and vegetables to the kitchen and local communities.
April 2018 marked the first inaugural Go Green With Us Recognition awards ceremony. As of 2019, every Tennessee State Park has been recognized for taking positive steps to preserve and enhance wildlife habitat, protect land and water resources, and reduce waste.
To view the TSP Go Green Guidelines and recognition program please click here.
About the Race
The TSP Go Green Trash Dash is a virtual race and fundraiser event for the Go Green With Us Program in TN State Parks. The event is hosted in recognition of America Recycles Day on November 15th. Different than a traditional 5k or charity race, the TSP Go Green Trash Dash is a way for individuals to improve their community by picking up trash while completing the run or walk. The race can be completed at your local State Park, community, or neighborhood.
The Go Green Trash Dash runs between November 15th and November 21st. Participants can complete the run at their own pace, whether it be in their local park or in their backyard.
After completing the 5K, participants can log their time through the ItsYourRace results page.
How to Participate
- Register Here
- Complete your race distance at any point between November 15th and November 21st
- Grab your mask, a trash bag, gloves, and get out into your community or local state park
- Pick up the litter you find on the road, trails, or parks during your run
- Take a photo of yourself completing the trash dash (picking up litter while walking or jogging)
- Post the photo on Instagram or Facebook with hashtags #TSPTrashDash #TSPGoGreenWithUs and tag @tennesseestateparks
Fun Run (set your own pace and distance): $10
In an effort to be more environmentally friendly, we will be avoiding mailing or distributing physical post-race items such as medals, t-shirts, or swag. Each TSP Go Green Trash Dash participant will receive a digital certificate of completion and will have the opportunity to win one of four prizes. Prize winners will receive a TSP Gift Card redeemable for lodging at campgrounds, cabins, Lodges golfing, restaurants, marinas, gift shop items, and vacation tours.
- Trash for Cash Award - Most fundraised
- Get Down and Dirty Award - Most litter collected
- Go The Distance Award – Most miles cleaned
- Innovation Award – Most innovative way to pick up litter while running
- Entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Race certificates and prizes will be sent out after the race is completed.
How To Log Your Time
- Go to https://tspgogreentrashdash.itsyourrace.com/event.aspx?id=14779
- Go to the Ready. Set. Grow! results page, then select the results for Ready. Set. Grow! Virtual 5K. The ItsYourRace results page for the 5K will appear.
- Find your name in the results under Ready. Set. Grow! Virtual 5K. With your name, you will see an "Update Time" button. Click "Update Time".
- If you are not currently logged into ItsYourRace, a login window will appear. Log in using your ItsYourRace user ID and password.
- Enter your time and click the "Save Your Time" button.
The 2020 Awards (below) are presented for work that was done in 2020. To see what other things parks are doing to Go Green, click on a park below.