Pickwick Landing Go Green
The mission of the Tennessee State Parks Go Green With Us program is to preserve and protect our state parks through sustainable park operations, resource conservation, and recycling. Program components cover a diverse array of initiatives, including energy and water conservation through equipment and operations upgrades, recycling programs, projects to enhance ecosystem health, and erosion control, among many others.
- Pickwick Landing State Park’s inn, conference center, and Captain’s Galley Restaurant are all Tennessee Green Hospitality Program-certified. This means they have systems in place that minimize energy consumption, waste, and material consumption, while encouraging environmental improvements.
- The inn offers electric vehicle charge stations.
- Their golf course is part of the internationally-recognized Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program and Groundwater Guardian Green program, which means that their course enhances the natural landscape and wildlife habitat while also improving efficiency and minimizing potentially harmful impacts of golf course operations. Several of the park’s program components include electric mowers and golf carts which are quiet and do not disturb wildlife, riparian buffers, targeted watering, and digital irrigation monitoring.
- The marina is a Certified Clean Marina, which means that it implements Best Management Practices that help to prevent and reduce water pollution.
- The park further contributes to ecosystem health with permeable pavement in the cabin area, which allows water to filter through.
- Staff encourage the use of native plants in the butterfly gardens and in the landscape.
- Volunteer litter pickup events are scheduled on a regular basis.
- Staff also remove falling and diseased mature trees and replant with native species as part of their forest management plan.
- Strategically placed trash and recycling dumpsters have been placed in the campground.