Pickett Go Green
The mission of the Tennessee State Parks Go Green With Us program is to preserve and protect our state parks through sustainable park operations, resource conservation, and recycling. Program components cover a diverse array of initiatives, including energy and water conservation through equipment and operations upgrades, recycling programs, projects to enhance ecosystem health, and erosion control, among many others.
- Pickett State Park was the first state park in the southeast to garner internationally-recognized Dark Skies Certification. The certification required, among other things, the conversion of all exterior lighting to energy efficient LED. It demonstrates Pickett’s commitment to preserving the natural beauty of the night sky while reducing energy consumption.
- The park particpates in TVA’s Green Power Switch program.
- Erosion is minimized in the campground through the use of tent pads. The pads decrease negative impact to the land from repeatedly setting up a tent in the same place.
- Park staff also encourage growth of native grasses and vegetation.
- Through a partnership with Fentress County, the park has a successful recycling program.